Saturday, November 29, 2008

So Cold...


If you know someone from the D, you've probably used this video to make fun of them.

If you're from the D and someone's made fun of you because of it, I feel for you. You're probably mad. I'm mad. I can't stand it. I hate when someone approaches me singing that song. I hate that people use that to make fun of my city ... a city, clearly, with it's own fucking problems. No need for youtube to add fuel to the fire.

Damnit, T-Baby.

But in truth, crazy shit does go down on the regular. And it makes NO sense. I mean, come on. Every day, every night. We're "The Murda Capitol," "Murder Mitten," "Dirty Third," and any other nickname you can think of for a reason. Just the other night... the night before Thanksgiving, no less, two people - reportedly ages 18 and 21 - were killed outside the club. I mean, I've been at the club when there are fights.. when people have guns, or say they do.. when people have gotten jumped, stabbed, beat down.. I mean damn. Can't even get together to kick it over the holidays without worrying about who's comin' after you.

Meanwhile.. Miami, my "other" home, went murder-free for the month of October.

When I'm down there, or away from home in general, I'm bombarded with attacks against my city. We're a hell-hole; worthless; most dangerous in the country. Yes, I'm one of those people who's been asked, "you're from the D... have you been shot/shot at/robbed?" question on the regular. I've gotten the, "do you live on 8 Mile/is 8 Mile really like that?" question. I've had to bear the brunt of every negative media perception of my city ... and really, how hard is it to paint a downtrodden city as a shithole? Especially when the residents, or former residents, refuse to stand up for it?

How can I stand up for my city when some good percentage of what is said is true?

I don't know. But I will. I love it. It's home.

[Stand up for what you believe in.]

2 comments:

Gia Shakur said...

wat town is this now. I cant hear the video I have no sound on this computer...

Kyle, Esq. said...

My poor Detroit. The love of my life, even if she plays me shady..