Sunday, March 15, 2009

Them Nights ...

A throwback from '05:

I'm a sucker for sun-dresses
blowing in the wind of a hundred-degree summer breeze
showing off ray-kissed pecan thighs
while you twirl for me,
like you did your father.

(Mama said there'd be days like this.)

Wet with the combined sweat and tears
of a long night yet to come;
anticipating the past,
you feel like heaven to me
before I even touch you
but after I decide never to let go.

(The moon stands still for us.)

I slept soundly last night
breathing in each of your curls
and exhaling your smile.
Twenty fingers and twenty toes so invariably intertwined
that had God Himself decided to steal one of us in the darkness
He'd have given up and moved on down the list.

(That's how it should be.)

Searching for my soul I found you;
the perfect imperfect reflection of what I wanted to be
without knowing what that was.
Not knowing how or why
when, where, or who,
I'm home.

(There's no place like it.)

I hope to never leave this haze
created by the countless times I have given up on the world
only to get drunk off you.
Left senseless
right before me
love materializes in exactly your shape and size.

(I'm a sucker for a sun-dress.)

No comments: